Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Tom Awards for the Top 10 Performances of the Decade

To piggyback on yesterday's post.

(In Alphabetical Order)


Cate Blanchett, I’m Not There – In many cases, biopics merely get impersonations from their actors. Cate Blanchett, such a compelling actress in everything she does, is at her most fascinating in this movie. There are tons of great performances in this movie, but you cannot take your eyes of Blanchett during her portion. Bravo to Todd Haynes for making this happen.


Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona – Woody Allen is famous for getting some great performances out of people (he has directed 15 people to Oscar nominations) but one complaint I have with him is that he can just as easily get copycats who mimic previous Allen-directed performances. And that’s why I love Cruz in this movie. It was the freshest performance in a Woody Allen movie in years, and possibly the most vibrant and passionate performance in any of his movies.


Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood – Day-Lewis is almost always the best thing about any movie he appears in. Even with all the greatness going on in this movie, that statement might still hold true here. I can’t imagine anyone else pulling off this role like he did.


Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky – God, I love this performance. This movie is really good on its own, but it wouldn’t have been possible without an effervescent performance at the center. Like almost everyone who saw this movie, I feel in love with Hawkins as the eternal optimist who isn’t as naïve as she might originally seem. If I were ranking these performances, she’d be in the top 3. If you haven’t seen this movie, go right now to a place where videotapes or film are sold or rented and buy it or rent and watch it. It is delightful.


Philip Seymour Hoffman, Synecdoche, New York – Hoffman is arguably the best living actor, and really any of his performances could’ve ended up on this list, he’s that good (seriously, what a decade for him—Almost Famous, 25th Hour, Capote, The Savages, Charlie Wilson’s War, and Doubt… each of them worthy performances for this list). But more so than any of those, Hoffman really does hold this movie together. He gives a perfect, sad performance, which is exactly what this movie required.


Mary McDonnell, Donnie Darko –Donnie asks his mom “How’s it feel having a wacko for a son?” McDonnell smiles and replies, “It feels wonderful.” My heart breaks at that moment. In a movie with almost universally fantastic acting (ahem, Drew Barrymore), McDonnell rises above with the most devastating role and performance.


James Cameron Mitchell, Hedwig and the Angry Inch – Easily my favorite performance of the decade. It’s obvious that the years of performing this role on stage has allowed Mitchell to completely inhabit this part. He is hysterical when he needs to be, but by the end of the movie he will wreck you. It's sad to think that Mitchell probably won’t ever have another chance to do something this good, but at least having this astounding performance is more than the majority of actors can ever claim.


Mark Ruffalo, You Can Count On Me – I recently watched this movie again to confirm that I still loved Ruffalo in this. I’m so glad I did. He’s even better than I remembered. Laura Linney is fantastic as well as his sister, but Ruffalo is alternately hysterical and heart-breaking. He is both realistic and quirky, something I don’t know if I’ve ever seen another person pull off quite like this.


Meryl Streep, Adaptation – This movie changed my opinion about Meryl Streep, and for that I am incredibly indebted. I’m not sure how it was lost on me up until this point that Meryl Streep is the greatest thing EVER, but the scene where she and Chris Cooper combine their voices to make a dial tone is one of my favorite moments in cinema, and not in little part because of Streep.


Naomi Watts, Mulholland Drive – I like this movie, and it really only took a second viewing 10 years after my initial one to realize that the movie really isn't as labyrinthine as people think. I think the real complexity here is Naomi Watts's performance. The scene where her character auditions and has changed completely from her original rehearsal earlier in the film is mesmerizing. She's done a lot since this movie, but I don’t think she’s ever been as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment